Mission, Goals, and Priorities
The mission of our organization is to promote the attraction, creation, retention, and expansion of businesses and to enhance our quality of life in Nebraska City and Otoe County.
Our number one priority is to provide economic development services which focus on the county’s priorities, supported by county-wide business and industry. We strive to meet these needs—by providing diverse job opportunities and increasing capital investment and growth of county-wide valuation—by focusing our efforts on industrial recruitment and retention, business development, entrepreneurship, leadership development and downtown redevelopment. We take our role as the County-wide leadership in economic development to heart. Working on identifying and promoting our county-wide opportunities most importantly by identifying, developing and marketing potential development sites throughout Otoe County.
Accomplished Goals for 2012-2013:
- Have at least six prospect visits to Nebraska City/Otoe County
- Continue to collaborate with the five county Southeast Partners for Progress to promote Southeast Nebraska and assist our industries to meet their workforce needs
- Attend at least one trade show focusing on a targeted industry
- Attend at least two site selector events
- Attend Community Venture Network events to recruit potential business opportunities
- Work to develop worker training opportunities that meet our current industry needs
- Develop additional High School Student Career tours in the areas of interest to students
Additional activities included:
- In April of 2013 we moved to a new location: 123 South 8th Street, Suite 7, Nebraska City
- Continued involvement with the Greater Nebraska Science and Engineering Fair (GNSEF)
- Tools for Business, a new resource addition to our website: www.nebraskacity.com
- Continued to fine tune marketing materials for both recruitment and the general public
- Met with site selectors as they reviewed our community and region to help us position and prepare us to be ready to meet the needs of new industry
- Connecting job seekers and employers though job postings and job fairs, promoting employment opportunities with Otoe County businesses
Goals for 2013-2014 include:
- Continue to develop the North Industrial site
- Secure ground for a large industrial site
- Work to have available industrial building space
- Increase the link between high school students and business and industry
- Continue to fine tune our website as an important marketing tool
- Assist current buisness and industry with retention and expansion needs.
- Identify, develop and market potential development sites in Otoe County
- Actively assist and recruit potential employers who create quality jobs and who are best suited to the resources of Otoe County.
- Idenify, recruit and assist entrepeneurs in the area.
- Work with local governmental entities on future development, land use and infrastructure needs.
- Educate the public about the importance of economic development to the future of the area.
- Assist with the growth of a quality, skilled local workforce.
- Work on a regional basis to promote the resources and quality of life in Southeast Nebraska.